Why study Mathematics and Physics at ICES?
90% of students at ICES succeed their Licence (Bachelor equivalent). These results at state examinations are due to small groups, that allow personalized study, and to the frequent organization of exercises. Individual support and methodology classes added to these, contribute to the successful transition between secondary school and university.
Constructing the professional future
After common studies in the 1st semester, students
make a choice between two specializations (Mathematics-Informatics or Physics-Chemistry)
in the 2nd semester. The goal of the Licence programme is to give a solid
training in sciences allowing the student to adapt to the major domains
of Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry and their applications.
Students are given support so they can define and construct their professional
project and can :
- Prepare for a teaching profession by classes of pedagogy, placements in primary/middle and secondary schools and by multidisciplinary options (general and artistic culture, psychology…).
- Turn towards a career of an engineer. Since 2004 all the students who were prepared at ICES to the contest for Engineering Schools passed their contest thanks to a specific training, oral as well as written, in the option Sciences for Engineers.
- Take their first steps in the business world. Thanks to specialized options like Financial Mathematics and Les Entrepreneuriales (a regional contest in which students simulate the creation of an enterprise), students get a glance of the enterprise environment.
- Turn towards professional studies. The first years of studies in a Licence constitute a solid grounds of knowledge before entering a technical training programme or Professional Master’s Degrees.
Among students who obtained the Licence there are
- teachers of Mathematics and Physics-Chemistry,
- associate professors at the universities,
- researchers in Mathematics, praticle Physics, nuclear Physics, Chemistry at the French National Center of Scientific Research
- statistician analysts,
- trading risk analysts,
- management auditors,
- engineers (research, meteorology, computer security, aeronautics, mechanics, chemistry, electronic, energy resources…)
Specific preparation for entry contests
Preparation for entry contests of Engineering Schools as well as contests for teachers of middle and secondary schools and for the Center of Training for Teachers.
Students of the 3rd year can do one semester of studies abroad among several possible destinations. Students are given support from the International Relations Office of ICES to organize these stays. The course of study abroad is integrated into the course in France, which allows validating the diploma and giving an international dimension to student’s CV.
Erasmus and exchange students, contact the International Relations Office for more information